Documents Needed for Extension

You must submit I-94 cards for yourself and any family members you have brought with you. (Canadian visitors do not usually get I-94 cards. You should also submit proof of the relationship between you and accompanying family members. You may verify a parent/child relationship by presenting the child’s long form birth certificate. Many countries, including Canada and England, issue both short- and long-form birth certificates.

Where both are available, the long-form is needed because it contains the names of the parents while the short form does not. If you are accompanied by your spouse, you must establish that you are lawfully married by showing a civil marriage certificate. Church certificates are generally unacceptable. (There are a few exceptions, depending on the laws of your particular country. Canadians, for example, may use church certificates if the marriage took place in Quebec Province, but not elsewhere. If a civil certificate is available, however, you should always use it.)

You may have married in a country where marriages are not usually recorded. Tribal areas of Africa are an example. In such situations, call the nearest consulate or embassy of your home country for help with getting acceptable proof of marriage.

If you are a business visitor, you should include a letter from your foreign employer explaining why you need the extension of stay. If you are a tourist, you should, again, submit evidence that you do not need to work by showing proof of your own income and assets. Bank statements or personal financial statements are the best documents for this purpose. Alternatively, if you will be visiting a friend or relative in the U.S. who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder, you may have your relative complete INS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support. These are only some of the requirements. Please call our office for your free consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.