TN Visas for NAFTA Professionals

The nonimmigrant TN visa classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN visa nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN visa nonimmigrant status, if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer;
  • You have the qualifications of the profession.

TN-1 visa Canadian Citizens

The requirements for Canadian citizens vary from that of Mexican citizens, This is the TN1 Visa v. the TN2 Visa. As such they must provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of their employment, length of stay, educational qualifications
  • Credentials evaluation if needed.

TN-2 Mexican Citizens

Unlike Canadians, Mexican citizens are required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN visa nonimmigrant.

Applicants for a TN-2 visa must provide a letter of employment in the U.S indicating that the position in question in the U.S. requires the employment of a person in a professional capacity to apply for the TN visa. Part-time employment is permitted under the TN visa. Self-employment is not permitted. A letter from the employer must also state the following:

  • Activity in which the applicant shall be engaged and purpose of entry;
  • Anticipated length of stay;
  • Educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
  • Evidence of compliance with DHS regulations, and/or state laws; and
  • Arrangements for pay.
  • Although not required, proof of licensure to practice a given profession in the U.S. may be offered along with a job offer letter, or other documentation in support of a TN visa application.

Mr. Galstyan, an experienced immigration attorney, has successfully handled many TN visa cases. Our firm has the knowledge and experience to get your TN1 visa or TN2 visa granted. We prepare TN visa petitions along with the required documentation as well as supporting evidence to ensure that your visa is granted. Please contact our office for your free, no obligation consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.