H-3 Visas for Trainees

The nonimmigrant H-3 visa category is for an alien coming temporarily to the United States as either a:

  • Trainee to receive training, other than graduate or medical education training, that is not available in the alien’s home country; or
  • Special Education Exchange Visitor to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program for children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.

An H-3 visa trainee must be invited by an individual or organization for the purpose of receiving training, other than graduate or medical education training, in any field including, but not limited to:

  • Commerce
  • Communications
  • Finance
  • Government
  • Transportation
  • Agriculture
  • Or the professions

This classification is not intended for employment within the United States. It is designed to provide an alien under the H3 visa with job related training for work that will ultimately be performed in the alien’s home country.

There is a numerical limit (or “cap”) on the number of H-3 visa “special education exchange visitors” each fiscal year. A petition requesting an H3 visa “special education exchange visitor” must be filed by a U.S. employer or organization and include a description of the training the alien will receive and description of the staff and facilities where he will be trained. In addition, the U.S. employer or organization must show that the beneficiary is:

  • Nearing the completion of a baccalaureate degree program in special education
  • Has already earned a baccalaureate degree in a special education program, or
  • Has experience teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.

Period of Stay

Under H-3 classification, you may be allowed to remain in the United States for up to 2 years. If your petition is approved for you to obtain training in the area of special education, you may remain in the United States for 18 months.

Family of H-3 Visa Holders

Your spouse and children who are under the age of 21 may accompany you to the United States. However, they will not be permitted to work in the United States.

Mr. Galstyan, an experienced immigration attorney, has successfully handled countless H-3 visa cases. Our firm has the ability and experience to help you in getting your H-3 visa. We prepare and file your petition along with all the required documentation as well as supporting evidence to ensure that your case is approved with the USCIS. Please contact our office for your free, no obligation consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.