The L-1 visa for intracompany transferees

Transferring employees from one branch to another can often be a complex and drawn-out process, even when everything goes exactly as it should. Now imagine attempting to do that across international borders. Talk about a paperwork nightmare. As complicated as intracompany paperwork can be, immigration legislation is much more so. Ok, so we’ve established that it’s complicated and difficult, and I’m guessing you don’t have a whole lot of experience with US Citizenship and Immigration Services. All that being said: you need a lawyer. Specifically, you need a Los Angeles immigration attorney from our full-service immigration law firm who specializes in the L-1 visa classification. Our immigration lawyers are the best in the business and are dedicated to our clients. For all your immigration needs, speak with our office; you won’t be disappointed.

The L-1 visa classification is specifically tailored to facilitate the intracompany transfers of executives or managers as well as employees with specialized knowledge. Unlike the majority of other visa classifications, the L-1 is unique in that it has two subcategories, the L1A and the L1B, and the employer must meet criteria for the visa to be awarded just as much as the employee. Whatever your immigration needs and concerns may be, our Los Angeles immigration attorneys and are here to help and provide whatever is required.

The general requirements for both subcategories of the L1 are by and large the same. The employer must:

  • Have a qualifying relationship with a foreign country (meaning that one must be the parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate of the other); and
  • Be currently engaged in business or will be engaged in business as an employer in the US and at least one other country in some manner throughout the entire time the beneficiary is present in the US under the L1.

There are legal technicalities and provisions that we could get tied up in all day if we had the time and interest, but I don’t have the time and I’m assuming you don’t either. So instead, come in to one of our offices and speak with a Los Angeles immigration attorney and allow us to guide you through the process in an expedient and efficient manner.

For employees, one full and uninterrupted year of employment within the three years which precede his/her admission to the United States is required. This year must be spent in the same position under which he/she is seeking admission to the US (i.e. either an executive or manager or an employee with specialized knowledge).

Additionally, this employee must be entering the United States to continue to provide service as either an executive or manager or an employee with specialized knowledge either through a branch of the same employer or through a qualifying organization.

Now, any Los Angeles immigration attorney worth his or her salt will tell you that the L1 isn’t just for the transfer of employees to existing offices, but additionally for the transfer of employees to establish new offices. That comes with a whole slew of other requirements and restrictions and criteria that must be met, but they’re no more difficult than the initial ones I informed you about. What’s important is that now you’re about to be introduced to the immigration lawyer that will help make your plans come to fruition and ensure that success is yours. All you need to do is give us a call.

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.