Naturalization – U.S. citizenship

Naturalization is the “big one” in terms of immigration into the United States. It is the application process that one undergoes to become a full-fledged US Citizen. Naturalization can usually only be undergone by individuals who have had Permanent Resident status for a certain amount of time – generally at least five years for most people, though there are exceptions in some circumstances we will explore later. The process itself has gotten a bad rap from a few loud people who didn’t go about it in the wisest way, and as a result, a lot of people tend to think of naturalization as exceptionally difficult, if not impossible. Well, lucky for you, this doesn’t have to be the case. Our Los Angeles immigration attorneys and Glendale immigration attorneys have helped innumerable clients from a variety of places and walks of life become US Citizens because of our attorneys’ high level of skill, experienced, professionalism, and unmatched concern for the success of our customers.
Ok, so you want to be a US Citizen – that’s wonderful! It’s not going to be a walk in the park, but maybe you could think of it as more of a hike. It won’t be as easy as a stroll through a park, but hikes are way more beautiful and the journey more rewarding, anyways. Our immigration lawyers are here to help. Think of them as forest rangers to help you on your hike. Ok, maybe the metaphor is breaking down at this point, but you get what I mean.
First things first: you need to be a Permanent Resident. Are you? Great! Move on to the next paragraph. You aren’t? Ok, well then let’s fix that. Contact our office and speak with an immigration attorney and we can explore options to get Permanent Residence for you! That process is different – very different – from naturalization, so I’d urge you to explore the Permanent Resident part of our site as it will give you a better idea of what you can expect.
Generally, to qualify for naturalization, you must:
Be 18 or older
Be a permanent resident for five years or more (usually, more on this later)
Be a person of “good moral character” (not according to your mother – more in the legal sense. The petition just asks a few questions – not a big deal)
Know the basic history of the US and the structure of the government
Be able to read, write, and speak basic English (there are exceptions for disabled or elderly persons who have had permanent residence for a certain amount of time proportional to age – contact our office to see if you qualify)
If you’re missing some of the requirements don’t worry, our Los Angeles immigration attorneys and Glendale immigration attorneys can work with you to ensure your petition will be approved!
Ok, you remember how I said I’d tell you more about the “permanent residence for five years or more” later on? The time has finally come! Congratulations, you’ve made it this far. If you are 18 or older and have had permanent residence:
For at least three years while married to a US Citizen
For at least three years and gained permanent residence via a self-petition while serving honorably in the US military (and are still currently serving), and have at least one year of service, and your application is filed within six months of a discharge or earlier –
you may qualify for naturalization. Speak with one of our professional immigration attorneys to explore your options if any of the above applies to you! There is always a way to make your dreams come true, let us help!

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.