Getting Your Spouse Permanent Residence in the U.S.

spouseThe reunion of loved ones is a beautiful sight – one that inspires love and hope in humanity. However, reuniting loved ones can be difficult when trying to circumvent the legislation involved in bringing a spouse to the U.S. as a permanent resident. The petition process itself can be daunting and intimidating, especially through the lens of fear and difficulty that has been erected around immigration.

Both U.S. citizens and permanent residents can petition for a spouse to be brought to the United States as a permanent resident. The forms that must be filed are generally the same, but different conditions apply depending on whether the spouse is currently residing inside the US or in a foreign country, and whether that country is the country of their nationality. For further information regarding your specific situation as you attempt to bring your spouse to the U.S., contact our office.

Keep All Your Paperwork Together

The petitioner (the spouse that is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) must provide certain documented evidence along with the petition in order to complete the process. Along with the actual government forms, the petitioner must provide:

  • A copy of your marriage certificate granted by a legitimate legal entity
  • A copy of any and all of legal documentation that decrees the legal termination of any and all previous marriages entered into by either spouse
  • Photo identification that meets US Citizenship and Immigration Services standards, which can be explained to you by any of our professional staff during the course of a free case review
  • Evidence of any and all legal changes of name for either spouse

Additionally, U.S. citizens must provide evidential documentation of their citizenship in one of multiple legitimate ways, any of which can be spelled out for you by a member of our professional and dedicated team of immigration attorneys. Permanent residents must provide similar documentation pertaining to their legal status as a permanent resident within the U.S.

Streamlined Petitioning for U.S. Military Soldiers and Sailors

The United States holds a high level of respect and attributes much honor to individuals and the family members of individuals who have served or are serving in the U.S. military honorably. Under current legislation, there are special conditions that apply to individuals such as these, and may apply to you that can streamline the petition and approval process. Contact an immigration attorney to find out about these special conditions and whether you qualify.

Green Card Petitions Are a Long Process

As mentioned earlier, the process itself can be rather lengthy, and that does not calculate in the period of time in which the petition is pending. During this time, spouses of U.S. citizens may enter the U.S. under the nonimmigrant K-3 visa classification while their petition for permanent residence is pending. The K-3 allows the individual to enter the U.S. to reside and be employed on a temporary basis while their petition is processed. Spouses of Permanent residents must take a different route, which is more complex than can be explained in an article of this nature. Our team of experienced immigration lawyers urges you to contact our office and schedule a free case review while your petition to bring your spouse as a permanent resident is pending.

If the marriage under which the petition for permanent residence is being filed has existed for less than two years when permanent residence is granted, that permanent residence will be granted on a conditional basis. These conditions on your spouse’s permanent residence must be removed through another application process filed by both spouses during the 90 day period the conditions allow before the expiration date specified by the conditions under which the permanent residence was granted.

Avoid the Headache by Speaking with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer

Reconcile your family, and make sure you never have to be apart again. Contact our office for a free case review, and speak with an immigration attorney today. Your spouse could be a permanent resident in the U.S., if you let us help you.

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.